Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Short Poem (poem is not by me)

Four ducks on a pond,
A grass-bank beyond,
A blue sky of spring,
White clouds on the wing;
What a little thing
To remember for years—
To remember with tears!
By: William Allingham


So, I found this poem a few years ago and it instantly became one of my favorites. I really like this poem mostly because of its meaning. It symbolizes to me that even though some things seem really insignificant and you just see it everyday, in the long run people will remember it with fondness and tears. It makes me have a warm feeling inside but it also makes me so sad, because it reminds me that nothing lasts forever. Eventually everything becomes just a memory. But that doesn't mean that we should give up on life. It just tells me that we should cherish every moment and live life to the fullest because you never know when it will all be over. It has such a profound meaning but only I think if you look hard enough. But if you don't then it's just a simple poem on the internet. But who really knows, maybe it is just a simple poem and I'm just reading too much into it. Or it could be a life lesson that one has to dig deep to actually find. Ah, I'm rambling, sorry about that. But anyways, if you like this poem then check out William Allingham. He's a really good poet.

2 comments:

  1. I've never read this poem, so thanks for sharing! I like your interpretation of it; my initial response was that it was a sad poem. I feel a sense of melencholy and regret when I read it, but you do a nice job of seeing something positive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the poem. It is really inspiring when you read something that relaxing and cute. I like your post.

    ReplyDelete